Shalom House offers hope for adults living with severe mental illness by providing an array of community based mental health services and a choice of quality housing that help people lead stable and fulfilling lives in the community.
Shalom House helps hundreds of people with serious mental illness each year by providing affordable housing where people can escape the stress of homelessness, hunger, and isolation. Once basic housing needs have been met, peoples' lives can become more stable. Our goal is to help people address personal goals, receive services, faciliate appropriate treatment, and once again become a vital part of the community.
Shalom House wants to help people with mental illness break through the barriers that make it difficult to recover from their illnesses. For some, these barriers include not being able to afford a safe and clean place to live, for others it's not knowing how to navigate the complexities of the mental health system, and for others it's getting lost and discouraged by our fast-paced, over-stimulating society. Our goal is to help people find ways to manage their illnesses and lead fulfilling lives in our communities.
In order to accomplish our vision we partner with the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, MaineCare (formerly Medicaid), corporate sponsors, United Way, concerned citizens, and many caring individuals who help support us with money and time.
Our Core Values
Together, we believe:
• Treating all consumers of mental health services with dignity and respect. This means offering and promoting choices and individualized planning for care and recovery.
• Promoting community integration. Assisting clients in moving away from dependence on the mental health system toward interdependence with friends, family and the community.
• Offering choices in living environments all of which are clean, safe and affordable.
• Including clients in agency planning and encouraging consumer participation in shaping statewide and regional policy.
• Treating our coworkers, employees and supervisors with respect by promoting safety in the workplace and providing adequate support against stress, fatigue and burnout.
• Maintaining proper stewardship of the resources entrusted to us by our funders. This means strict adherence to federal and state regulations in the areas of billing, documentation and allowable expenses as well as other restrictions associated with specific donations and grants.
What We Do!
At Shalom House we believe that when people have the appropriate support they can get better and lead fulfilling lives in the community. Our model for success is grounded on the following four bases:
Shalom House is growing! We now have supported housing opportunities in Portland, South Portland, Westbrook, Biddeford, and Saco. Our successful housing and service models are well known in the community and we are dedicated to improving and updating to meet today's challenging and changing needs.
Whatever our future brings, Shalom House will remain a dynamic, caring, innovative organization devoted to helping people with serious mental illness live fulfilling lives in all the wonderful communities around us!