Housing Subsidies and Rental Assistance


The State of Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services (SAMHS), through Shalom House and other local agencies, offers 2 rental subsidy programs designed to assist individuals in finding stable independent housing. Independent housing vouchers represent a foundation of recovery and hope.  To the greatest extent practicable, DHHS empowers consumers with tenant-based housing vouchers which enhance individual choice, independence, and control over where a person lives and what services (if any) such a person decides to receive. Housing programs available:

Bridging Rental Assistance Program (BRAP)

Shelter Plus Care/CoC program


What is BRAP and Shelter Plus Care/CoC?

To help you understand these programs a little better, we have provided a brief overview of both programs. Please click below to view or download the PowerPoint Presentation.

View the BRAP & S+C Overview Presentation

Download the PowerPoint version of the Presentation here


Learn more about the Programs


The Bridging Rental Assistance Program (BRAP) is a transitional supportive housing program developed by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services (SAMHS).                 Learn About BRAP View a description of BRAP, View or download the BRAP Manual and Application  

Shelter Plus Care

The Shelter Plus Care (CoC) program is a permanent supportive housing program funded by the Department of House and Urban Development (HUD), through the Department  of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services (SAMHS). Learn About S+C View a description of S+C, View or download the S+C Manual and Application  



Shalom House serves as the Central Administrative Agency (CAA) for the State of Maine’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), providing statewide administration of both the Shelter Plus Care/CoC program and the Bridging Rental Assistance Program (BRAP).


Shalom House also serves as the Local Administrative Agency (LAA) for both York and Cumberland Counties (except Brunswick, Freeport, and Harpswell), providing local support and rental assistance to help eligible individuals and families live in safe and decent housing of their choice.


Additional Information

Who to Contact:

Statewide Contact List View the LAA/CAA Directory.  

Referral Process:


Consumers interested in either of these subsidies should contact their service provider, case manager, or community support worker who can submit an application on their behalf. Providers can obtain applications for both programs through the Shalom House Housing Subsidy Department by calling 874-1080 or in York County calling 423-8154.

Additional Resources


  • Maine 211 – Whether it’s financial assistance, domestic violence, addiction treatment, health care, mental health, or heating and utilities assistance, 211 is a free, confidential information and referral service that connects people of all ages across Maine to local services.
    • This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    • You can reach 211 via phone, text, email, or by searching our online database.
      • Phone:         Dial 211 or 1-866-811-5695
      • Text:            Text your zip code to 898-211 (Standard msg & data rates may apply.)
      • Email:          info@211maine.org
      • Online:        Online Database



State of Maine – Department of Health and Human Services

United States Department of Housing and Urban Development


Maine Housing & Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher programhttps://www.mainehousing.org/images/graphics/mhlogo_gr.png